Sunday, October 10, 2010

I Miss Running

I am 62 years old and I am proud of it. I have had a wonderful life. I had parents who loved me, taught me to be a descent human being, I had brothers who I adore now, but when I was growing up with them I thought they were born to annoy me and get in the way of the attention I wanted from my parents. Our family was as ordinary as they come with problems like everyone elses. Never quite enough money, but always lots of love and fun. When I was a little girl I loved to run. I would run to and from my neighbors house just because I thought it was fun. When I would be playing at the playground across the street from my house I would go and just run the bases. I wouldn't have any one to play baseball with, but I didn't care. I would pretend to hit the ball and run the bases. I would run to school and I would run home from school. I wouldn't be satisfied to roller skate unless I could do it fast. I fell a lot and I am not saying I was even a fast runner, but I just got back up with my long spindly legs and run some more. As I got to the pre-teen years, my mom told me that a lady didn't run everywhere she went. I always had band aides on my knees, because I wouldn't slow down. It was somewhere between 6th. and 7th. grade that some boy laughed at me when I was running on the playground and tore the petticoat that I had on under my gathered skirt. Long pieces on lace lay across my sprawled legs and I could hear my mom saying that is no way for a lady to behave. I was sweaty and dirty and now I was totally humiliated. I think it was that day that I quit running every where I went. (Thanks, Billy C.) It was about that time I became a little more aware of my feminine side and my mom was so happy. My jeans didn't wear out as fast (holes in the knees from falling) and my skirts didn't tear loose from the waistbands. Running each year became something I never thought about doing. When I got into high school I did love sports and I played everything. I loved softball and basketball, but mostly I loved a game called speedball. It was a cross between soccer and football, but I got to run again. After high school I got married and started a family. The running I did was mostly chasing kids keeping them from throwing things in the toilet and flushing them down. Running after them when they climbed the fence in the back yard and were heading for the creek. The problem I noticed was that they were a lot faster than me and my running in anger wasn't like when I was a kid and you just ran for the joy of it. As the years went on I started walking the Ravines. It wasn't as popular as it is now, but I was trying to lose weight and Bill would go with me. We got where we would actually jog around the whole ravine. I enjoyed it for a time then things happen, people get sick and you have to help care for them and suddenly the running stopped. Now I am 62 overweight, bad hips, and feet. I love to watch my grandchildren run all over the yard. I sometimes try to chase them, but I give up quickly. My oldest grandson, Matt is running everyday. He loves the Ravines and is now making it around twice. He really is loving it. I miss the feel of the pavement under my tennis shoes. I miss the sweat and how the dust would stick to it all over my face and arms. I miss the pounding in my chest where I felt like my heart would explode (but I knew it wouldn't because I was young and in shape)I miss the way I felt when I finished getting to the slide or supper table or the top of the hill at the Ravine Gardens. Free and flying and happy to feel alive. Now I will be satisfied with walking the loop in my neighborhood while my grandchildren ride their bikes and scooters. I feel free watching them run like the wind. Boy, I sure do miss running....

No comments:

Post a Comment